Demolition is the destruction, breaking down or removal. Demolition of building is the process of dismantling or destroying of a structure after its life of serviceability by pre-planned and controlled methods.
Different steps are involved in the process of demolition of building structures which are:
- Removal of hazardous materials
- Preparation of plan
- Safety measures
Surveying of Buildings for Demolition
Surveying means study of different parameters of the structure and its surroundings. There are two types of surveying are mainly conducted. They are
- Building surveying
- Structural surveying
Preparation of Demolition Plan for Structures
A detailed demolition plan is made which illustrates the different process involved and they are:
- The location of the building to be demolished.
- The distances from the building to be demolished to its adjacent buildings, streets, structures and significant street furniture.
- The structural support systems of the building.
- A plan showing the procedure for the demolition of the building; detailed sequence of demolishing structural members; and the method of demolition to be adopted.
- A plan showing all precautionary measures for the protection of the public including hoardings, covered walkways, catch platforms, catch fans, scaffolding, protective screens and safety nets.
- Method of handling demolished building debris.
- Time required for the complete demolition process etc.